« The 2nd Amendment Accurately Explained | Main | The Tragedy of Ending Saturday Mail - Women and Minorities Hardest Hit »
Feb152013

Danger: Falling Objects Open

Russia literally dodged a bullet last night...

Have a nice weekend and post what you like.

Dr. Benjamin Carson, a man who speaks truth to power (obama) when it is sitting two seats away from him. A short video with him on his background: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuYmhJUeoBE

Though a full length TNT movie was made on his life, starring Cuba Gooding Jr. called "Gifted Hands." From the book by the same name.

He has written a current bestseller himself called, "America the Beautiful: Rediscovering What Made This Nation Great."

I just love this man. If there is any salvation for this country it will have to come from people like him.

February 16, 2013 at 10:10 | Registered CommenterTijuana

According to IowaHawk, crooked Illinois politicians going to jail is like Alabama football. When one graduates to the big house they just reload. LOL

February 16, 2013 at 14:38 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

Back ground information coming from the WH is that Obama is going to tell Netanyahu to not bomb Iran's nuclear facility. This from the President who lied I mean “swore” to us that Iran would never get an atom bomb. First off, if I was Netanyahu I would leave Obama hanging during lunch then invite him in afterwards and tell him to f**k off.

February 16, 2013 at 18:48 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

Found something really interesting (to me) recently. If you are willing to watch just a minute or so of the video, from 5:30 to 6:35, it shows the part I am describing.

In 1952 a local Iowa TV station did a show about what to do in the big city of Toledo, Iowa to keep the kids entertained and out of trouble. Now that old program is available on youtube, broken into several parts.

Video here.

If you are willing to start at 5:20 of the video, the conversation is about whether the youth problem is just a lack of recreation or something deeper.

This same discussion could have happened last week just as easily as in 1952. The interview beginning at 5:20 is with the newspaper editor.

At 6:22 the newspaper editor hands his copy to the typesetter, who is operating a Linotype typesetting machine.

That typesetter is my dad, 5 years before I was born.

Pretty cool to see my dad, he died in 1971.

February 17, 2013 at 23:02 | Registered CommenterDuff, man

Duff;

Who made you aware of this video? That's pretty cool. We always think of our dads as old men but at one time they were young also.

February 18, 2013 at 11:17 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

I originally heard about this being posted to youtube from an old friend of my dad's who was just randomly searching the internet regarding Toledo, Iowa, and recognized my pops. Toledo is a town of 2500 souls, so an internet search would not be as extensive. Toledo was very good to my family, they used to hold community blood drives for my two Hemophiliac brothers.

It does appear that the archives at Iowa State (may a curse be upon them, for other reasons) loaded these to youtube. The program was a TV series called "The Whole Town's Talking" and it appears they did many of these programs for different Iowa towns, at least central Iowa.

They also did one for Tama, 2 miles from Toledo (sort of a sister city) which included input from some Meskwaki tribe members.

Some other parts of the video are funny, the local doctor begins to describe having recently treated an abuser of something called "mary-jawanna".

Thanks for commenting, TM, I appreciate it.

February 18, 2013 at 14:13 | Registered CommenterDuff, man

Just a random thought here...

No matter how bad my day starts, I console myself with the notion that Captain Kickass, il Douche, the Mocha Messiah, the Lightbringer, Barry Sotero, Barack Hussein Obama, will not be president on January 21, 2016.

No matter what.

February 19, 2013 at 12:09 | Registered CommenterMy Sharia Moor

Just a random thought here...

No matter how badly my day starts, I console myself with the notion that Captain Kickass, il Douche, the Mocha Messiah, the Lightbringer, Barry Sotero, Barack Hussein Obama, will not be president on January 21, 2016.

No matter what.

February 19, 2013 at 12:10 | Registered CommenterMy Sharia Moor

Enjoyed that video Duff. Kids with nothing to do being a big problem in Toledo is a cool problem relatively speaking compared to today's kids, eh.

Glad you have that video of your dad. My dad died when I was 13 and I didn't return to his grave site until the age of 45. I never thought about how old he was in all those years but as I stood there reading the dates on his marker I was hit with the realization that he was only 44 when he died. Younger than me as I stood there and I certainly did not think of myself as being old at the time. TM is right, we never really think about our parents as having been young once.

February 19, 2013 at 12:53 | Registered CommenterTijuana

Yeah sharia, but will it be hillary? Sheeeeez, I'm sorry. :-)

February 19, 2013 at 12:54 | Registered CommenterTijuana

Thanks Tijuana.

Sorry you lost your dad so early. I was 14 when Dad passed.

February 19, 2013 at 14:39 | Registered CommenterDuff, man

So now California says "oops" about their suddenly balanced/ miracle/ on the backs of the rich/ tax 'em til they bleed/ tax policy and corresponding budget.

LA Times article here.

Even in the LA Times the reader's poll which asked "Did you see this coming?" 91% of votes are yes.

February 19, 2013 at 23:29 | Registered CommenterDuff, man

Ah...time for some new content?

February 21, 2013 at 07:19 | Registered CommenterZoy Clem

Zoy, I'll try and post some stuff since I'm snowed in right now.

February 21, 2013 at 19:16 | Registered CommenterMachiavelli

Machiavelli,

Thank you. This post is a week old so it seemed about time. I appreciate the posts.

February 22, 2013 at 08:09 | Registered CommenterZoy Clem