« Photos From Fraternity Parties | Main | LIVE: Democratic National Convention 2012 »
Sep072012

UPDATE: The Cy-Hawk Open Thread

Updated... with the obvious that is:

It wasn't pretty...  but we'll take it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previously on the BL Rag....

The finest weekend in all of Iowa sports is upon us once again.    The Iowa / Iowa State rivalry is one of the best (and possibly most underrated) rivalry games in all of college sports.

This Saturday's game marks the 60th time the two have faced each other on the football field since 1894.   The results of the game factor into a season-long competition that includes not only football, but basketball, wrestling and many other sports which factor into a season ending tally to see who will sport around the desired Cy-Hawk trophy the following year.

Tonight also showcases another notch on the Cy-Hawk schedule with women's volleyball where the #18 ranked ISU women are set to host the Hawkeyes at Hilton Coliseum, but the talk of every Iowa town is certainly going to be focused on that of the big football game, the trash talking between fans/friends and the discussions of where they'll be watching the big game tomorrow.

Both teams' fans are looking at this year's game to gauge just how good their respective team will be for the remainder of their season.

Despite "the experts" already weighing in with their picks of who will win (heh heh... good stuff) I expect it to be the great game it usually is, however I highly doubt it will be able to top the excitement from last year's game.... but here's to hoping anyway:

(Hawkeye fans... you may not want to watch this... last year's OT loss in < 15 minutes)

Hope you had a great, short workweek and enjoy the even shorter weekend.

The thread is open so go wild!

I've been meaning to touch on this little bit of news but time hasn't been on my side today.

September 7, 2012 at 16:32 | Unregistered Commenterskinnydipinacid

Found some old video on youtube, I had sort of forgotten the 1977 game was the rebirth of the rivalry between Iowa and Iowa State.

Start at around 3:55, Iowa State fumbles, then keep watching for two running plays by Jon Lazar, the Iowa fullback.

Video is here. Things sure look different from 1977.

I was in the same high school graduating class as Jon Lazar. Dude was a high school All American. He led the Iowa team in rushing for 3 years and I think his highest rushing total for a season was around 440 yards. It was a different time.

September 7, 2012 at 18:00 | Registered CommenterDuff, man

Well, ok then. Let's just abolish Congress, and let King Barry rule by edict. Screw that Constitution thingy and its separation of powers nonsense. Let's get things DONE!

September 7, 2012 at 18:32 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

Great news! Fantastic news! According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate is now 5.1%. In government agencies, that is. That's right, folks. Obama has successfully taken care of the unemployment problem for those being paid by the taxpayers.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate in the real world is still above 8% by the most favorable calculations, but much higher than that in real terms, once figuring in those who have simply given up looking for work. As Peter Cook at Bloomberg reported:

You had Americans leaving the labor force. In fact, you’ve got the labor force shrinking by 368,000. The number of employed falling by more than the number of employed. The participation rate, 63.5%. That is the lowest participation rate we’ve seen since 1981. 12.5 Million Americans unemployed, according to the household survey. Again, huge factor hanging over the election.

September 8, 2012 at 08:40 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

Saw your update, Skinny. Those chaps in the white costumes with red and yellow accents... are we to assume they were the victors in some form of athletic competition?

September 9, 2012 at 12:47 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

Congrats Skinny. I didn't think the Hawkeyes could win, but I was surprised by how many chances they had to win.

While I was worrying about inexperience at running back, and a whole new offensive scheme, the receivers all got together and collectively drop 8 passes.

Oh well.

Maybe UNI can beat Iowa next week, that would be fine with me, as an alum.

September 9, 2012 at 21:20 | Registered CommenterDuff, man

How Obama Motors figures to be profitable. It's almost like... MAGIC.

The once-great company hasn't a prayer unless there is a virtual earthquake of changes. The deadly triangle of boneheaded management, greedy and short-sighted labor, and incompetent government intrusion must be broken up.

September 10, 2012 at 09:52 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

It was a battle of who could turnover the ball / drop more passes on Saturday. I've never thought to highly of Iowa's QB Vandenberg, and he certainly wasn't great on Saturday, but he had SO many passes right in the hands of receivers or hitting them right in the numbers and they still couldn't catch the ball. I'm an Iowa St fanatic and even I was getting sick watching it...

... but not nearly as sick as watching ISU turn the ball over in the red zone that many times.

After that final turnover I though for sure the momentum had shifted and Iowa was going to at least tie it up. I was afraid it was going to go into overtime... and I'm not sure if my ticker could have taken another game like last year's, lol.

As for UNI... I'll be pulling for them. My mother went there and we used to go up there all the time to watch games while my older sister was attending (back when Kurt Warner was their QB too, so bonus... when Warner kicked off his Arena football games in Des Moines I only remembered him as "the guy who used to play for UNI", lol). Love the UNIdome.

I'm the only ISU boy in the family... everybody else in the family attended Iowa (Mom, bro and lil' sis) or UNI (mom and older sis), so next week's game is an even bigger rivalry within my family, lol... but I gotta pull for the Panthers just to make it even.

September 10, 2012 at 09:53 | Registered Commenterskinnydipinacid

I always loved watching UNI football. They almost always had great quarterbacks and incredible speed at receiver. I was long gone before Kurt Warner's days.

UNI Dome opened when I was a soph, I did photo work for local newspaper and then school newspaper and then the sports information director, never saw a Panther football game from anywhere but the sidelines.

Still used black and white film, action photos inside the Dome required me to push-process the 400 speed film to 1600 speed to stop action without flash. Those were fun days, no autofocus, required some luck.

September 10, 2012 at 13:21 | Registered CommenterDuff, man

I know this is an aging open thread, but I wanted to share this story: Did the DNC show Russian Navy Ships in their video tribute to veterans?

Might have been an "oops" at the Democratic National Convention?

Or coded message to Putin? President Obama did say he would have more flexibility after his re-election.
"I shall transmit this to Vladimir"

Here is someone making fun of Obama for the above comment.

September 11, 2012 at 23:34 | Registered CommenterDuff, man