« Rahm Snubs Cubs Over Political Contributions | Main | UPDATED: Eric Holder Found in Contempt of Congress »
Jun292012

End of the Republic Open

Well,  it appears that with yesterday's Supreme Court decision on  the Affordable Care Act,  our esteemed members of Congress can make us buy just about anything as long as they refer to the payment method as a tax.

Have a nice weekend and post what you like.

Image courtesy of Petr Kratochvil. Click on the image to see more of his work.

I'm going to open this up early since I'll be on vacation next week.

Color me unsurprised you dolts couldn't keep a republic.

--Ben Franklin

June 29, 2012 at 11:50 | Registered CommenterMachiavelli

If I'd known you'd use it to wipe your arses, I would have written it on something a bit softer.

-- James Madison

June 29, 2012 at 11:59 | Registered CommenterMachiavelli

“Today’s decision will go down in infamy. It marks the moment when we all lost our freedom because the Supreme Court drew a road map to guide those dedicated to imposing a totalitarian, satanist statist government on the American people. . . . The majority opinion on the individual mandate, can force Americans to do something . . . like eat broccoli. It can force Americans not to do something, like not be obese. Or even not sing the Star Spangled Banner.
Senior Fellow for Legal Affairs [sic] of The Heartland Institute.

Death panels, bitches! I have a second interview for a position on my local one.

June 29, 2012 at 12:45 | Registered CommenterWinston

Better practice your goose-stepping, moron.

June 29, 2012 at 12:51 | Registered CommenterMachiavelli

The useful idiots of the left have NO idea what they're cheering about.

Leftie reasoning power:

A poll tax, payable in order to vote = HORRIBLE! UNFAIR! VIOLATES THE BASICS OF HUMAN RIGHTS AND DIGNITY! (I agree, by the way)

The Obamacare tax, payable in order to obtain the privilege of having a pulse in America = WONDERFUL! UTOPIA IS HERE! CHANGE! HOPE!

June 29, 2012 at 14:26 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

Geez. I guess John Roberts is the latest conservative to have failed conservatism, which cannot, itself, fail.

June 29, 2012 at 15:47 | Registered CommenterWinston

I certainly knowwhat I'm cheering about: families will be able to keep their kids on their policies, those with preexisting conditions will get care, workers will feel less ball-and-chained to jobs and more free to become entrepreneurs, insurers will have to stop dropping people for getting sick or hurt, healthcare costs will decrease, an eventual public option will become more likely.

The sweet sweet tears and shrieking of THE DEATH PANEL SCREAMERS is just a side benefit. Don't miss the Jean Schmidt video, it's priceless!

June 29, 2012 at 15:54 | Registered CommenterWinston

Shorter Winston: You will jog for the master race, and always wear the happy face.

June 29, 2012 at 16:00 | Registered CommenterMachiavelli

Now that we know the government can tax anything you do or decide not to do. That revelation does open up opportunities to tax liberals for their ignorance. Think of the revenue stream! California and Massachusetts alone is worth a trillion a year.

June 29, 2012 at 16:03 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

How will this affect the healthcare plans of public sector employees?

June 29, 2012 at 16:20 | Registered Commenterskinnydipinacid

Skinny, it shouldn't affect them at all.
Tom, that's funny considering who elected Romney Governor and who currently enjoy the benefits of RomneyCare.

June 29, 2012 at 16:27 | Registered CommenterWinston

"Remember Solyndra? The Washington Times reports that Abound Solar, maker of solar panels and recipient of a $400 million loan guarantee from the Federal Government, announced Thursday that it would file for bankruptcy."

By all means let's raise taxes but still piss money away on solar panel projects better left up to the private sector. When demwits say raise taxes with a wink in their eye because weatlh redistribution is good for you, just remember the money blown on Barry's & Kankles pet projects.

June 29, 2012 at 17:24 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

The good news for conservatives is that Sarah Palin can now finally name a Supreme Court case other than Roe v Wade!

June 29, 2012 at 20:22 | Registered CommenterChoy Lee Mu

The end of the Republic isn't here yet, but we can see it in the distance. Will this be our lot, once the principles that made us great are totally destroyed by the left and the compliant useful idiots who follow along mindlessly?

THE SECOND COMING

W.B. Yeats

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

June 29, 2012 at 21:35 | Unregistered Commenter1RedBeard

I haven't enjoyed this many wingnut tears since Obama was elected. End of Times poetry? Lol, a truly epic meltdown.

June 30, 2012 at 06:54 | Registered CommenterChoy Lee Mu

Enjoy yourself while you can, Brent. Fools can do that easily, because fools never see the train coming.

June 30, 2012 at 07:09 | Unregistered Commenter1RedBeard

Why cry over something I don't feel will hold up ?

June 30, 2012 at 09:41 | Registered Commenterskinnydipinacid

"I certainly knowwhat I'm cheering about: families will be able to keep their kids on their policies,"
What policy would that be?

" those with preexisting conditions will get care,"
From whom?

"" workers will feel less ball-and-chained to jobs and more free to become entrepreneurs"
Really. Well dayum. Just too funny.

"insurers will have to stop dropping people for getting sick or hurt,"
What/which insurers would that be?

"healthcare costs will decrease, an eventual public option will become more likely."
Ever hear the phrase, "you get what you pay for?"

June 30, 2012 at 09:59 | Registered CommenterTijuana

"Why cry over something I don't feel will hold up ?"

Me and my man skinny.

June 30, 2012 at 10:00 | Registered CommenterTijuana

Yeats' poem seems appropriate. If we don't turn this leftist cluster **** around, we will join internally collapsed societies like the Mayans, the Han Dynasty, Rome, and the Hittites. Our success or failure is not in anyone's hands but our own.

The choice is simple. Return to our founding principles and thrive, or continue down the self-consuming and destructive path of collectivism and die.

June 30, 2012 at 12:34 | Unregistered Commenter1RedBeard

They've thrown everything they have at him. Obstructionist politicians. Anti-communist rhetoric. Predictions of the end of the republic. Endless investigations, conspiracy theories, innuendo and outright lies. Yet there stands the latest Rasmussen poll showing Obama in the lead.

June 30, 2012 at 12:37 | Registered Commenterkwawk

Actually, when I said...
"Why cry over something I don't feel will hold up ?"
... I meant exactly the opposite of what you assumed

June 30, 2012 at 13:16 | Registered Commenterskinnydipinacid

I'm not going to predict the outcome of the election, because too much could happen between now and then. But I will predict a massive fiscal crisis, a steep decline in U.S. credit worthiness, further deep and perhaps irreversible divisions in our society, and the very real possibility of the end of the constitutional republic as we know it, if Barry Soetoro (or whatever alias the Quisling is using at the moment) does get re-elected.

June 30, 2012 at 16:56 | Unregistered Commenter1RedBeard

Kwawk wrote;

"I think I've figured out what all of this is really about. I think it has finally occurred to certain people here that Obama is probably going to get re-elected."

Kwawk we can all tell when your posting while high.

June 30, 2012 at 19:24 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

Health Care Will Not Be Televised

Zo squares off against Obamacare.

Wait... doesn't this mean that Zo is a racist for opposing Obama? I guess it must.

July 1, 2012 at 07:57 | Unregistered Commenter1RedBeard

Wow that was fast. Saw my first "Obamacare, it's a big f....ing tax" bumper sticker. There is a very big and vibrant Tea Party chapter in STL. I guessing those guys were on it ASAP after the SC ruling.

July 1, 2012 at 10:48 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

Uh...gentlemen, the Tree of Liberty is looking a bit dry.

-- Thomas Jefferson

July 1, 2012 at 12:27 | Registered CommenterMachiavelli

I'm beginning to love how wingnuts threaten revolution every time something doesn't go their way. It's like a little kid who threatens to run away from home every time his mother makes him take a bath.

Turn off the Foxnews guys. It will do worlds for your maturity and social skills. Not to mention your understanding of history and economics and patriotism and love of country.

July 1, 2012 at 14:31 | Registered Commenterkwawk

I'm curious as to what worlds besides the right wing paranoid propaganda machine does love of country include constant threats of armed insurrection.

July 1, 2012 at 14:36 | Registered Commenterkwawk

kwawk;

Nice try, the only nutters that do go on a rampage is the Occupy Crowd aligned with the demwits.

July 1, 2012 at 14:39 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

Gabby Giffords would beg to differ.

July 1, 2012 at 14:41 | Registered Commenterkwawk

Timothy McVeigh just let out a little chuckle in hell.

July 1, 2012 at 14:41 | Registered Commenterkwawk

Anders Behring Breivik likes Thomas Miller's post.

July 1, 2012 at 14:43 | Registered Commenterkwawk

Man the dems all over the airwaves calling Obamacare everything it's not, that’s a TAX INCREASE. Head spear catcher this Sunday Jack Lew COS for "Barry the Liar" couldn't even call it a tax when audio was played back of Solicitor General who argued the case in front of the SC calling it a tax. If the Sunday shows are any indication of how the demwits are going to be shitting themselves daily for the next 130 days denying Obamacare is the biggest tax in history of which 75% hits those under $120k a year, Depend sales are going to skyrocket. Btw didn't Barry promise no tax increase for those making less than $250k during his administration? Another day, another lie.

July 1, 2012 at 14:46 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

It's a tax increase that very few people will have to pay. How you're getting to the largest tax increase in history except by just parroting Rush Limbaugh's talking points a little cloudy there.

The only part that was ruled a tax increase is for the small percentage of people who choose not to have insurance in spite of all of the incentives provided in Obamacare to do so.

The other day TM I posted a listing of Teddy Roosevelt's party platform from 1912 but I noticed it all made you uncomfortable and you didn't respond. Do you think Teddy Roosevelt was a communist TM?

July 1, 2012 at 14:52 | Registered Commenterkwawk

First Gifford’s attacker wasn't a Republican. He hated George Bush but whatever delusion fits you kwawk you go man. McVeigh? LOL yeah the original Tea Partier. The democrat constituencies of Labor Unions and Occupy Crowd all make for wonderful optics during elections. It worked so well in Wisconsin.

Wasn't Jeffrey Dalmer, Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy and Richard Speck all democrat ward chiefs? I get my "facts" the same place as kwawk.

July 1, 2012 at 14:54 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

Learn that from Foxnews TM? Ted Bundy was a Rockefeller Republican.

July 1, 2012 at 15:03 | Registered Commenterkwawk

And while Jared Loughner didn't self-identify as a Republican, I'd note that neither do Machiavelli or Redbeard.

Loughner did however identify with a lot of right wing conspiracy theories and crackpot beliefs:

Jared Lee Loughner, the young man who allegedly shot Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) and killed six others in Tucson on Saturday, would seem to defy easy categorization. Yet the evidence does provide clues into the mind of a man who even the staunchest partisans should be able to agree held muddled politics far outside the mainstream.

It seems clear based on Loughner's YouTube videos and MySpace page that he held a grudge against the U.S. government - and that he had had become obsessed with Giffords, the local embodiment of that government. Start with his reading list: As Mark Potok of the Souther Poverty Law Center notes, the central theme running through the books - Mein Kampf, The Communist Manifesto, George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm, Ayn Rand's We The Living - is "the individual versus the totalitarian state." ...

David Wynn Miller told Politico he agreed with Loughner's statement in a YouTube video that "the government is implying mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar."

July 1, 2012 at 15:11 | Registered Commenterkwawk

Apparently you have it close with Gacy, he was an assistant precinct captain around the age of 18, I can't find anything with Dahlmer and Speck as far as political affiliation.

But 1 in 5 is good enough for you ehh?

July 1, 2012 at 15:15 | Registered Commenterkwawk

Oh, stop it, KwAwk. The more you ramble with your serial postings, the less relevant you become.

Oh, and by the way, Teddy Roosevelt was a big government Progressive, by deed and self-proclamation. It's right there in the history books you haven't read.

July 1, 2012 at 17:29 | Unregistered Commenter1RedBeard

As far as I'm concerned, both parties are the problem. The Republic's finished, the rule of law is dead, and the Constitution is worthless as a 'living document'...and both parties are to blame. Fine, a pox on both their houses.

July 1, 2012 at 18:10 | Registered CommenterMachiavelli

Agreed, Mach. The only difference between the Republican Party and the Democrat Party is one of degree and nuance, on average. There may be a handful of constitutional Republicans in government, but not enough to make a difference, and the Democrat side has none.

As I've said before, and with complete sincerity, I haven't voted for a Republican presidential candidate since 1984, but rather against the cretins the Democrats keep nominating. It's a very depressing exercise, going to the polls and voting negatively, but it's the only choice I have. I'll be doing it again in a few months.

July 1, 2012 at 20:30 | Unregistered Commenter1RedBeard

Democrats can't MAKE you eat cake...
but they can sure as hell TAX you if you won't

- John Roberts (or something like that)

July 2, 2012 at 00:29 | Registered Commenterskinnydipinacid

LoL, still trying to make the Jared Loughner = Tea Party argument are we?

Why can't you leftists just admit it.... that the immediate rush to judgement was a foolish mistake. You guys were too optimistic of the political opportunities that lied in front of you to let it slip away so you pounced... like cats in heat. They hadn't even picked up the pieces of poor Gabbie Giffords skull and hope-smoking liberals were pointing fingers at everything right-affiliated.

(Warning: rant and slight sidetrack ahead for 2 paragraphs)

In fact that incident was the story that actually got me banned from the Quad City Times website, a site I used to frequent daily... debating complete asshats that were posting such stupidity and actually clicking the submit button afterwards as if they apparently proof-read it and considering it something to be proud of. Me simply blockquoting all of the hateful, vile rhetoric spewed by the Times-Democrat readers (former name, but says it all really) got my account banned and all comments I'd ever posted went bye-bye with it, even though I was pretty cautious with how I worded my comments and replies, so not to sound vulgar in response (which I still consider a pretty big accomplishment for me).

After they banned me I became proactive... primariy because I was pissed everything I'd ever contributed to their forum was completely gone, simply because some 40 year old virgin IT fuck got click-happy with the bannish button. Long story short (too late?), the more I discussed it and defended myself with them (in email, phone and finally in person) the more they actually got mad because they couldn't rightfully defend their own position... which eventually turned into an "we're gonna ban your IP" war. (In which Security Kiss was an excellent weapon in helping me win that one.... I recommend).
So that reminds me.... Fuck you Lee Enterprises... for the umpteenth time.

/ sidetrack

kwawk, my point is they did it with Loughner incessantly (and cluelessly), I remember it VERY well, and they did with Andrew Stack also... when they assumed flying a plane pissed off into the front of an IRS building had to be the workings of an angry Tea Partier. Let's not investigate any further, let's not dig for facts... let's just slap some makeup on a media puppet and rush him/her out on t.v. to push the agenda. Then when they're shown to be completely wrong they just dust off their hands and quickly slip away. They view it as mud that didn't stick, nothing more... there's plenty more mud where that came from.

Had he been a TPer, Andrew Stack would be a household name still today because the media and leftists would still be talking about him daily in hopes of discrediting their political opposition.

"Fast and Furious? What's that? Are you sure you're not confusing it with that new movie starring Vin Diesel and the Rock? GUNS SMUGGLED INTO MEXICO?? WHAAA?? CERTAINLY THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN... but if it did, no way did Obama know about it. He's too sexy. Sexier than Vin Diesel even (but not the Rock... that's guy's beefcake)!"

If there was a way they could pin Fast and Furious on a Tea Partier, they'd be screaming to high heaven about it every frickin' day. They already tried shifting it to being a "Bush policy", hoping to fool those naive (and by "naive" I mean "utterly fucking braindead") enough into believing he created their headaches and blunders, despite the fact the administration was announcing plans to fight gun running back in 2009 and admitting then the President was fully aware. They've looked, they've tried and they failed to find the perfect TPatsy. Now they're lying to cover their tail, hiding the facts behind executive privelage and trying to downplay it the best they can (often times making it all about race, which no reason has been injected by Republicans for any logical person to assume such a notion... however since when are Democrats logical?)

... and so far the best they've come up with is (wait for it...) "It's all Bush's fault!" ??
(oh, and "it's because he's black? Isn't it? You racist, no-good lily white honkies?")

Hey, I got an idea... maybe they can blame Fast and Furious on Jared Loughner too, that angry Tea Partier! Maybe he got all riled up after attending a Tea Party, or listening to Rush Limbaugh, or whatever silly idea pops into your head(s)... and just went completely batshit with an assault rifles scheme. Maybe he killed Agent Terry too.

Maybe the solution to cover Obama / Holder / Napolitano and their collective asses is to turn this whole thing into one ridiculously wild game of Clue at a leftists house:

Player 1: "Was it Jared Loughner... In the Tea Party Express... With a candlestick?"
Player 2: "no"
Player 1: "hmmm... was it Jared Loughner... from Fox News studio B... With a revolver?"
Player 2: "no"
Player 1: "Well, then it had to have been George Bush... from Crawford, TX... With a rope?"
Player 2: "Are you even paying attention to the clues anymore?"

Oh, and in case you're one of the many leftists/Democrat-socialists I haven't already said this to... thanks a ton for rejuvenating the Tea Party movement at this critical of a moment, this close to November, when it truly matters most.
(And lol at James "Egg-on-meh-FACE" Carville... "the Tea Party is dead")

July 2, 2012 at 01:58 | Registered Commenterskinnydipinacid

It's not love of country...it's absolute rejection to living under tyranny. We were once 13 colonies that rightiously rebeled against tyrannical evils such as taxation without representation, and now 5 unelected judges have rewritten an unconstitutional law into a tax.

As an experiment in national liberty, America has failed.

July 2, 2012 at 07:24 | Registered CommenterMachiavelli

As an experiment in national liberty, America has failed.

Well now, that all depends on one's perspective...

because...

Democracy is the road to socialism..

- Karl Marx

(put into that context, many leftists would call that a success)

July 2, 2012 at 08:21 | Registered Commenterskinnydipinacid

To the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence, to all those who gave their lives in the war for independence, and to the members of the Constitutional Convention who gave us a truly inspired form of republican government:

I'm sorry. Your hard work, sweat, blood, and sacrifice was for nothing. We have taken the priceless treasure you gave us, and we have utterly destroyed it through greed, entitlement, laziness, idiocy, and willful malfeasance. Perhaps some future generation, appalled by looking back at the wanton destruction of the republic, will resurrect your brilliant vision and restore your shining city on the hill.

July 2, 2012 at 08:49 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

Mach - The Affordable Care Act was passed by both houses of the US Congress and signed by the President of the United States. It was upheld as constitutional by numerous federal judges and appeals courts and ultimately held as constitutional by the US Supreme Court. There is simply nothing nefarious and nothing out of line with the US Constitution on this matter.

As far as all of the lamenting about the Declaration of Independence goes, the colonists were revolting against an unelected King and the rules of a parliament which they were denied representation in. Last I checked, Kansas, Iowa and Florida all have representatives in both houses of our Congress, with Kanasa and Iowa being over represented in relationship to their respective populations.

July 2, 2012 at 09:17 | Registered Commenterkwawk

How's that shit sandwich taste, Nooshans?

July 2, 2012 at 09:32 | Unregistered CommenterWinston

So says the guy who routinely waves off the Constitution as being irrelevant because it's been around too long.

In 1776 we fought governmental rot that originated across the Atlantic. The only difference today is that the rot originates right here.

July 2, 2012 at 09:34 | Registered CommenterRedBeard