« It's... TIME! | Main | Corrupting the English Language, Open Borders Style »
Sunday
Nov042012

A Sign of Our Times

A sign of our times... :sigh: Just one of three Romney signs still left standing in one NW Davenport (IA) area.

While knocking on doors for Romney today, I chatted with about 1/4th of the 400+ doors I went to just this weekend (many of which are Republican and some Ind/Dem voting Romney), and of those I talked to an overwhelming majority instantly complained about the theft and destruction of their political signs.

Over and over again, throughout the entire day, first thing out of their mouths after they answered my quick, simple questions... "has anybody else been having their signs stolen, because we've had two sets dissappear so far", or something equivelent.

Some vandals even added extra insult by egging those Republicans' houses, damaging fences, smashing pumpkins and even bashing a couple's minivan.    I think we covered this a couple times this month already... but apparently it bears repeating.

(WARNING:  NSFW, unless your work is like mine and enjoys swearing)

Ironically though... every single Obama sign in that same area was still intact and looked as good as the day it first got shoved in the ground, which is weird, given all the theft and vandalism that's been plaguing the neighborho...  Oooooh, I get it now...

This comes after a long couple months of conducting polling and door knocking all across the Scott County area.   I can't even count how many people I've seen wise up weeks ago and start taping new or what's left of their old signs to the inside of their windows and doors just so the same thugs can't come take and/or destroy them.   I've lost track of the number of destroyed signs stories around week 2.  What I do know is the stories just keep getting worse and the damage more costly to those involved.

This is pretty much what the scene has become in Eastern Iowa.   Larger (and far more expensive) signs beaten with bats, yards tore up from cars running over them, now vandalism that goes beyond the pale, all while the the left ramps up scare tactics that reinforce the violence... just like this moronic waste of flesh did:

On the bright side, in about 48 hours, this could all be over.  Thank God for small miracles.

November 4, 2012 at 22:24 | Registered Commenterskinnydipinacid

I believe that Obama believes that he can fool a lot of people into believing his bull****. It worked 4 years ago, when millions of dunderheads, out of staggering ignorance or inherent stupidity, joined with the hard left to vote the lying cretin into office.

At least in my area we're not seeing the vandalism of signs. Perhaps that's because virtually no one around here is an Obama supporter. I took a look at the various signs along the roughly 30 miles of county roadways I travel near home during an average week. Among all the thousands of campaign signs for state and local offices, there are massive numbers of Romney/Ryan signs. And strikingly, I saw precisely 1 (one) lonely Obama sign. That's it. One. It's a small one, and pristine, as Skinny noted about Obama signs in his area.

I'm seeing very few Obama sign in the big city where I work, either. There, it's more like 3:1 Romney signs over Obama. Of course, I do see Obama stickers on the occasional little shoebox-sized cars that are covered with PETA stickers, "COEXIST" pleadings, ad stickers for the local radio outlet of the Pacifica leftists, and "Impeach Bush" anacronisms. Real cars with Romney stickers outnumber the Obama ones by the same 3:1 ratio as I see with yard signs.

November 5, 2012 at 04:53 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

Stealing or defacing signs is one of the favorite tactics of the infantile left. These morons seem to think "if I steal or deface the sign Romney he will lose." I know, I know anyone with an IQ above 65 knows this won't work but many on the left hover around that idiot line of demarcation so we know what to expect.

November 5, 2012 at 06:41 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

I've gone through 3 sets of signs so far... I just keep going back and getting more. With the last set I thought about making a sign next to them that said "WARNING: 110 Volts of Electricity Running to These Signs - Steal at Your Own Risk". Then just stick a cheap security camera up for the fun of it.

November 5, 2012 at 07:01 | Registered Commenterskinnydipinacid

Skinny, they sell inexpensive electric fence chargers, like the ones I use for cattle pasture control. 10,000 volts, pulsating, almost no amperage. Can't do any permanent damage to anyone, but it will most certainly make them dance and shout a bit. And maybe soil themselves. Don't put up a warning sign. Just turn on a real security camera and wait. Could be fun to watch.

November 5, 2012 at 07:39 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

Notice how Maher isn't threatening/joking to go after Romney voters himself, but seems happy to 'kid' about letting blacks go after likely well-armed citzens. Racist coward.

November 5, 2012 at 07:45 | Registered CommenterMachiavelli

I didn't even bother putting up a sign. There are Obama signs everywhere here. My wife wanted to put a bumper sticker on the car but I talked her out of it, because I don't want my car vandalized.

November 5, 2012 at 09:20 | Registered CommenterSergeantJack

That's exactly why I didn't put a Romney sticker on my car too. In general I've noticed far less Romney stickers out there, unlike the vast number of Bush stickers from '04. It seemed like those were everywhere then, but now we're all unwilling to put them on our cars because we assume it could lead to them being vandalized, and for those of us that are doing it it's happening which makes our assumptions correct. That's how we see you now Democrats and probably will into the future. How does that make you feel Democrats?

November 5, 2012 at 10:58 | Unregistered CommenterNo Shit

Is Romney really the type of candidate which you'd put a sticker on your car? A permenant emblem on your vehicle for a candidate who's average time of holding any given position is about two weeks?

This whole thread reminds me of the story I saw a while back where an Obama supporter woke up every morning to find out their Obama 2012 torn apart in their yard. They got pretty angry about it and finally decided to put up a camera.....

November 5, 2012 at 11:44 | Registered Commenterkwawk

Allen West's signs are being ripped to shreds in south Florida. Must be gators. Or coyotes. Couldn't possibly be Democrats.

November 5, 2012 at 11:59 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

Must be all those communists in the House of Representatives...

November 5, 2012 at 12:06 | Registered Commenterkwawk

Well Kwawk, two things...

1) A sticker isn't a tattoo... it's not permanent. They make citrus-based solvents that easily breaks down the gummy adhesives on the back and lets you peel them right off without ever leaving a mark

2) I'm pretty sure deer don't favor white colors w/Romney Ryan text over Blue colors with Obama Biden. I've heard some bad spin on your part, but that's just sad. It's like watching somebody belly flop off the high dive. It looked so painful it made me cringe.

November 5, 2012 at 13:11 | Registered Commenterskinnydipinacid

1) My point was that people don't generally put bumper stickers on their car for people who they aren't passionate about. For the better part of this campaign Mitt Romney was the meh! candidate only nominated because nobody better was available. Yes bumper stickers can be removed from cars, but let's not confuse possible with easy.

2) Political signs of all stripes disappear durinig campaigns. Big whoop! Most likely explanation is bored teenagers. Though I thought the deer thing was pretty funny.

November 5, 2012 at 13:48 | Registered Commenterkwawk

But tatoos are a pet peeve of mine. If you're going to get a tatoo, I fail to understand why you wouldn't go get one from somebody who was really good at drawing tatoos?

Getting a discount tatoo is like.... I struggling with coming up with a metaphor simile, as there are very few things as permenant as a tatoo!

And who are these losers who get tatoos on their faces?

November 5, 2012 at 13:52 | Registered Commenterkwawk

Most likely explanation is bored teenagers.

That doesn't quite fit with Allen West having one of his very large yard signs destroyed, and at the same time having 4 new signs from his opponent appear surrounding the wreckage, as if framed. Unless the bored teenagers are Dem campaign workers.

November 5, 2012 at 13:57 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

I'm gonna have Mitt Romney tattooed on my pickup.

November 5, 2012 at 13:59 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

November 5, 2012 at 14:00 | Registered Commenterkwawk

I just assume some people aren't aware that stickers can be so easily removed, probably because so many liberals still run around with campaign stickers emblazoned on their car for the Democrats they voted for, you know... decades ago.

November 5, 2012 at 14:11 | Registered Commenterskinnydipinacid

" And who are these losers who get tatoos on their faces?"

The Democratic party's base.

"Yeah, but Allen West is a jackass is works hard to try to offend everyone to the left of Michelle Bachman. He doesn't get much sympathy from me."

Situational ethics? Why can't you acknowledge just right or wrong? I expected better from you.

November 5, 2012 at 14:31 | Registered CommenterDuff, man

I can acknowledge that destroyng somebody's yard signs is wrong. That is not a problem.

I don't think it is situational ethics as much as recognizing mitigating circumstances. We kind of had this conversation last year with regards to Michelle Malkin.

When you're finding yourself always having to be the most Conservative person in the room and you take pride in not shying away from offending other people, ie being offensive, then you don't have much room to whine when others get offended.

Allen West is the politician version of a Michelle Malkin or an Ann Coulter. He thrives on unapologetically offending those on the left, and that is to a large extent his appeal to people a lot of people on the right. Thus if the people who he has offended tear down his yard signs he doesn't get much sympathy from me.

November 5, 2012 at 14:55 | Registered Commenterkwawk

So... it's wrong, but really not all that wrong, to tear up the signs of a guy you hate. Got it. Let me write that down for future reference.

November 5, 2012 at 15:01 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

No, Allen West is famous for being offensive. He's not a policy guy. He's not a great communicator. The only reason anybody outside of Florida knows who he is, is because of his penchant for saying things so outrageous that it gets picked up nationally. He'd be an unknown backbencher if it wasn't for intentional actions to get attention.

It isn't about right or wrong, it's about whether he gets my sympathy. And he doesn't.

Think of it this way. If you have two kids. One of which is known for being mouthy and annoying people the other is known for being well liked and respectful. If one of the kids comes in off the play-ground crying that one of the kids smacked them upside the head, are you really going tell me you're going to not going to react differently based upon which kid it is that is crying?

November 5, 2012 at 15:17 | Registered Commenterkwawk

What's up with early voting? For 200 years election day voting and absentee ballots worked just fine. Our voting infrastructure kept pace with the size of the voting electorate and worked for the most part very well at timely voting and accurate counts. Ever since 2000 with early voting and to some degree electronic voting, American elections have taken on the look of a banana republic. Long-lines. Lawsuits to keep polls open longer. People are whining about the time they have to spend in line. So I say vote absentee dumba++ or go tomorrow when 10x the polling places are open to vote.

Do they offer free phones to vote early?

November 5, 2012 at 15:43 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

It isn't about right or wrong, it's about whether he gets my sympathy.

Now I know exactly what to tell them next time I get called up for jury duty.

November 5, 2012 at 16:25 | Registered CommenterMachiavelli

Be sure to tell them how writing in the comments on a political blog is just like jury duty. They'll love that.

November 5, 2012 at 16:48 | Registered Commenterkwawk

I'll tell them everything I know about relativism I learned from reading the blog comments of post-modern liberals.

November 5, 2012 at 16:56 | Registered CommenterMachiavelli

If the meltdowns are this good now, imagine how awesome they're going to be tomorrow night if Obama loses. Even if you hate the channel, you'll almost have to check in every now and then just for the laughs.

November 5, 2012 at 17:49 | Unregistered CommenterFaultline

My second biggest hope for tomorrow is that Bruce Braley gets thrown out on the curb. This moron puts out an I-worked-across-party-lines-why-can't-we-all-just-get-along themed TV ad in the final 2 weeks of the campaign after spending his career dividing society and demonizing business.

This self-entitled attorney/loser spent the entire campaign doing nothing but the old Medi-scare attack ads and divisive, rich-are-evil, anti-success, there-is-a-corporation-under-your-bed bullcrap ads.

This might be the year when the standard Medi-scare BS loses its effectiveness.

Heck he even restarted the Congressional Populist Caucus that had run it's course and disappeared back in the early 1900's. Dividing has been his whole act.

November 5, 2012 at 22:43 | Registered CommenterDuff, man

I think the Democrats take those same attack ads and just replace the name and photo of the person they're attacking and regurgitate it everywhere, lol. They all look alike to me.

No wonder Democrats aren't enthused. These guys are just looking pitiful now. Today Obama spoke to a half empty arena in Ohio despite having Jay-Z and Bruce Springsteen with him (I can't decide which one I'd rather see the least). Still trying to convince people he's the man of change, that he tells the truth and making sure they remember he killed Osama bin Laden.

November 5, 2012 at 23:15 | Registered Commenterskinnydipinacid

He's in Des Moines now telling the same old "Fired up, Ready to go" story.

.... Zzzzzzzzz

(wake me when it's over)

November 5, 2012 at 23:34 | Registered Commenterskinnydipinacid

I've still not seen any Obama yard signs in my part of the county, other than the one lonely sign I mentioned earlier. More Romney signs have popped up each day, though.

Too bad the election couldn't hinge upon the vote tally in my part of the world.

November 6, 2012 at 07:28 | Registered CommenterRedBeard

Wow. I don’t know for sure if we (progressives) will win the elections today; I do have a good feeling about it but I’m aware the nation’s electorate stands on a razor’s edge. What I do know—what skinny’s post helps reinforce for me—is this: over the long run we’ll continue winning the battle for human progress. The Plutocrats Rights and Defense of Racists Advocacy Community is soft, weak, mired in stupid persecution fantasies and preoccupied with dramatizing its setbacks with the most infantile self-pity. In that respect it really is the old Confederacy.

Ever heard the dismissive expression “that’s a First World problem”? Well, having your Romney-Ryan yard signs vandalized (or, more likely, damaged by woodchucks): that’s a First World problem.

Skinny, research the guy you ridiculed as “racist” last week, for apparently saying (at age 91) something stupid about white people that offended your delicate sensibilities. He was known as the dean of the American civil rights movement. Beaten by cops, jailed, had his property seized, targeted for death, saw many of his friends and colleagues jailed, threatened, beaten, and assassinated, including MLK (whose job he took over after King’s murder). The guy you in a cheap shot ridicule as racist spent his life suffering, enduring, and emerging victorious over more violations of his dignity and human rights some afternoons than you and I will ever see in a lifetime. Everytime a wingutz mocks such a person it exposes their vast entitlement, their moronic insularity, their ignorance of history, and their oceanic arrogance and self-regard. Mocking such a person and then posting an entire thread of lengthy bellyaching that someone might be ripping up your yard signs, um, get a f***ing life, man. Find out what some people have had to do to secure their rights and dignity beyond driving their f***ing pickup trucks down to the campaign HQ and getting another yard sign.

Someone stole my Obama yard sign. Big f***ing deal. I put up two in its place. I don’t wallow in self-pity. I don’t indulge myself in lurid fantasies of being a persecuted political minority or of administering electric shocks to the vandals. These preoccupations are for children. I think you wingnutz are going to lose. You’re on the wrong side of history, and you're weak, pathetic whiners, just as you fear and project onto others.

Sorry, I subscribe to the Occam's Razor principle. It just illustrates how persecuted the Nooshans love to feel and how eagerly they embrace their whiny victimhood fantasies that they presume the mean Demoncrats are vandalizing their property because of their political affiliations and not simply for the far more likely and obvious reason—that they're well known to the local teenagers as the neighborhood assholes.

November 6, 2012 at 14:40 | Unregistered CommenterWinston