« The Obama Economic Record | Main | Newt On Target »
Jan202012

Weekend Open Thread

The big news lately, has been the soap opera called the 'Republican Primaries.' The media has had a field day generating non-stories and innuendos about the candidates. But I guess that's been the case relative to politics for hundreds of years.

Anyway, it's the weekend and this thread is open.

Now that Santorum has won Iowa and Romney is very likely to loose SC, methinks, we've got an all new ballgame going. Mitt was weak in the first SC debate and even weaker in the second. Been thrown off his stride. I still like Newt but Santorum would do just fine. I think he has come a long way in his debating skills with all these debates and I see no reason why he wouldn't be able to take it to obama. The best news for me though is Romney appears to be in trouble. "Let me tell ya," this thing is heating up. :)

January 20, 2012 at 17:46 | Registered CommenterTijuana

I always vote absentee, but I haven't sent in my ballot yet. I'm waiting for the S.C. results, to see if there are any big surprises. Rick Perry dropping out took away one of my possible choices, and who knows what S.C. will provide.

January 21, 2012 at 05:47 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

January 21, 2012 at 05:48 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

I didn't really say that twice. The board security word "feature" told me my first attempt failed, so I had to enter the secret words again. But it was just kidding.

By the way, I promise not to gloat over our 79 degree sunny weekend, while Chicago is under a pile of snow and most of the country is in a period they call "winter." I won't say a word about how great it is to get out the motorcycle and go for a ride wearing only jeans and a t-shirt. That would be cruel, so I won't do it.

January 21, 2012 at 05:55 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

I with ya, Red. I ain't gonna gloat either.

January 21, 2012 at 06:37 | Registered CommenterGrayRider

Yeah, Gray, I think it's best for us to just remain silent about that bright sunshine, blue sky, and warm temperature out there. If we mention those things, we might upset others, and we wouldn't want to. We're better than that.

Now where did I put that tube of sunblock..................

January 21, 2012 at 08:33 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

Red;

I hope you get wind burn....

January 21, 2012 at 09:02 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

My God check out the Columbian Cupid girl in the upper right corner! What's she packing in that rack; cocaine?

January 21, 2012 at 09:04 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

Rainy, gray and a cold 54 degrees here. Suits my disposition just fine. A perfect pajama bottom day with yellow light breaking through the windows, a good movie (no football :( ) and comfort food. Yeeeehaaaaaa

January 21, 2012 at 16:33 | Registered CommenterTijuana

Newt keeps on hitting them out of the park, with his very popular comments about Obama being the Food Stamp President, and condemning The One for bowing to Saudi kings. But does that popularity and the S.C. win give him the legs to finish the race? By the time we know the results from Super Tuesday, things should be a bit more clear.

January 22, 2012 at 08:31 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

I wonder what Thomas saw. Just sayin'.......... ;-)

January 22, 2012 at 08:32 | Unregistered CommenterRedBeard

If folks think the Tea Party movement died after the 2010 elections, think again. Mitt = 1, Santorum =1 and Gingrich =1. I believe the meaning of these results is simple. The people, conservative people that is, are refusing to accept what the GOP thinks is best for us and we are deciding for ourselves. We do seem a bit confused at the moment but in the end Mitt Romney just may loose despite and in defiance of what the powers that be i.e. ms. guvna of S.C., may think about it. Hey, I'd take a Chuck Norris endorsement any day over anybody in the GOP.

January 22, 2012 at 12:21 | Registered CommenterTijuana

My former favorite conservative pundit Ann Coulter trashes Newt, South Carolina and the tea party as she supports Romney. In my world what was once up is now down. You don't like Newt, fine, but a move toward Santorum would make a lot more sense to me than Romney. Conservative pundits are scared to death that the people are going to nominate an un-electable candidate. We'll see I reckon.

January 22, 2012 at 18:43 | Registered CommenterTijuana

Joe Paterno died. It is a shame that he made a couple of stupid decisions that will taint the memory of a great coaching career. He did only what he was required to have done, instead of what would have been right, back when abuses were brought to light.

My favorite high school social studies teacher, in the wilds of Iowa, was an early player for Joe Paterno at Penn State. He never had any Varsity playing time in his years as a player but he said Joepa knew his name and the names of every player on the roster. He always spoke glowingly of Paterno. I wonder what Mr. Wills thinks now.

January 22, 2012 at 20:45 | Registered CommenterDuff, man

I'll get behind whoever is the eventual Republican candidate for President. But I'm VERY disappointed in how the candidates have conducted themselves to-date. We’re up against the weakest dem President since Jimmy Carter; maybe ever and were in the process of destroying ourselves. Really sad.

January 23, 2012 at 09:52 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

It is 2:35 in the morning and I just crawled out of bed. One night about every two weeks I have a sleepless night. This is not a problem for us retirees. No job, no doctors appointment :) and it is raining out so no golf either. One sleeping pill, two tylenol, a bowl of ceral with toast, cruise the web for a while and before you know it I'll be sawing logs.

Thinking about tonights debate, it was relatively uneventful. Early on Mitt's attacks on Newt over the Fannie/Freddie deal made him look more cheesy (in my opnion) than strong. Romney just has no flare for debating. Santorum got a couple of jabs in at both Newt and Mitt late in the debate that went pretty much unanswered but other than that not much was happening. Strangely I found Paul Ryan to be rather likable tonight. He seemed calmer and almost gracious during much of the degate. Thing is, even if I agreed with everything he stands for their is no way someone looking that old could ever beat obama, Again, my opinion.

I still like Newt a lot. He articulates the problems and solutions better than anyone on stage. And no matter what the media may say about him, if nominated, they want be able to allege that he is stupid and uninformed. I believe him when he say's he has big ideas with big solutions because I have heard many of them over the years. He is accused of being a progressive by the likes of Glen Beck and I would say that is true. Only not in the liberal sense of the word as Beck intends it. I think Newt believes in the traditions and values of conservative America but understands the need to move into a future that is rapidly changing without sacrificing those values and principles we hold dear.

If the people nominate Newt in opposition to the GOP's wishes I believe it will be the greatest political coupe de gras since, well, I don't know, maybe the American revolution :). We've been spoon fed the Bushes, the Doles and the Cains but maybe now we are going to say enough already. We'll see I reckon.

Some of you here at blrag may be Romney supporters or you just don't care. Either way is fine with me and I'll vote for the man if nominated. What I don't understand is the vitriol coming out of the likes of Christie, Coulter, the NRO and other conservative pundits as it regards Newt Gingrich. I'll never look at them in the same way again. As I said before my world has been turned on it's head a bit by the likes of these folks. Especially Coulter. She was on O'Reilly tonight and I couldn't listen to her going on in that critically degrading style I've heard her use on liberals so often. Listening to her do that to Newt I hit fast forward and moved on to the next Factor segment.

BTW, Mitt Romney didn't say, "let me tell ya" once tonight. Ya reckon he read my comments? :)

I don't know if any of you ever watch "Uncommon Knowledge" with Peter Robinson over at NRO but he does a 5 segment interview with Paul Rahe that is fascinating to say the least. It is worth the time: Nov 14-18 http://tv.nationalreview.com/uncommonknowledge/

Well, It's 3:30 and I'm still not sleepy. Reckon I'll surf a bit and wait for the yawns to come on. Later y'all.

January 24, 2012 at 03:54 | Unregistered CommenterTijuana

January 24, 2012 at 03:55 | Unregistered CommenterTijuana

Tijuana- Thanks for your thoughts. I assume that you meant to say Ron Paul instead of Paul Ryan.

No doubt Newt has debate skills, Obama would probably try to avoid any debate with Newt, unless the questions were skewed towards him by the moderators. I would envision very short debates with fawning questions to O and "when did you stop beating your wife" questions to Newt.

Did you ever see the Saturday Night Live take on Obama's treatment during debates, back when he debated Hillary? SNL must have been mad about Hillary being on the losing end, because they would not have done that skit otherwise.

Video is here.

January 24, 2012 at 12:02 | Registered CommenterDuff, man

Hello Duff, yeah I had Paul Ryan on the brain from a clip I watched earlier in the day of an interview done with him. I did mean Ron Paul.

Thanks for the video link. Thing is that isn't that much of an exaggeration is it.

Every presidential race that I am familiar with going back to Carter has generally had at least three debates. Kennedy Nixon had four. If obama runs from at least three I think the heat on him would be awfully great. Especially if Newt thumps him in either of the first two. Even the liberal media would have a difficult time fending for him I believe. I've heard Coulter say New probably wouldn't get more than two debates but she's got shit for brains these day's in my eyes.

I still remember the third debate McCain had with him. In that debate McCain did a much better job of confronting obama and I believe and some other pundits I have read believe that McCain probably won that debate by a small margin. Not enough to make a difference obviously. He had obama bumbling around for awhile simply because he wasn't used to being challenged like that. What Newt would do to him would be much worse. Would it matter, nobody knows but obama's ability to shmooze the people would likely trump anything that Mitt Romney would throw at him. Romney looked flustered last night when attacking Newt. Flustered and uncool.

Seems everybody thinks Mitt is the only candidate who can beat obama because that is what we've been fed. I ain't buying it. Anyhow, just my thoughts on the matter.

January 24, 2012 at 17:42 | Registered CommenterTijuana

Happy Anniversary!! It's been 1000 days since Harry Reid's demwits in the Senate passed a budget. Washington & Jefferson would be so proud.

January 24, 2012 at 17:58 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller