« Possibly The Most Idiotic Statement Of Modern Times | Main | Respect, or Serious Lack Thereof »
Dec092011

Change is in the Air

...or might be. I have been thinking about rearranging our content at the site, so I wanted to make people aware of  it now in case they see the results of  such thinking.  I am not planning to remove any existing sections,  but things may get moved around.  So, if you don't see the page that you're looking for, check the menu panel on the left of the page--you should be able to find it there.

That's all I have to announce. Have a nice weekend and feel free to post what you like--this is an open thread.

I thought last night's debate was the best thus far. Rick Perry was without doubt the best I've seen him in the debates up to now. He came across as confident and had only one small moment of pause when one of the commentators ruffled some papers off camera when he was speaking. Newt, I felt, weathered the many attacks against him well. Especially when he got into a back and forth with Romney on his comment about the "inventive Palestinians" which was blown out of proportion by the media. (just ask Rick Perry) I felt Romney came across as the weasel that he is in that little spat. Trying to make Newt look like an out of control bomb thrower. He failed.

I felt Rick Santorum had a good night as well. He minced his words and stumbled a bit when asked who had the upper hand in the Romney/Newt spat, which was not a good look for him, but other than than I thought he did well. I liked his endorsement of Newt at the end when he said Newts book had provided him with the conservative path for his career back in the 80's.

Michelle Bachmann is definitely the fighter of the bunch and she was throwing punches last night. I still like her a lot but do not think she will weather the storm to become a front runner.

Ron Paul still comes across as everybody's cranky old grandfather. Much of what he say's sounds good but if it was up to him America would withdraw from all world affairs until some nut comes knocking our door down again with a nuclear weapon. I do not disagree with much of the libertarian view in principle but in practice it would get us all kilt.

According to Yahoo 70 percent of voters did not like Romney challenging Perry to a $10,000 dollar bet last night. I'm with them on that. I believe Romney may have lost more points last night in his frantic attempts to attack and defend almost, it seems, all at the same time much of the night.

If I were to score the debates last night I would score: Santorum +1, Perry +2, Romney -3, Newt +1.5, Ron Paul 0, and Michele Bachmann +1.

I think it is interesting the way Ron Paul supporters appear to be following him around from debate to debate. But then a lost cause needs all the support it can muster I reckon. My opinion of course.

December 11, 2011 at 12:48 | Registered CommenterTijuana

Tij;

Great post. I've stopped watching the debates. One lib after another trying to bait the candidates into attacking each other rather than the real problem, President Chavez. But seriously, Diane Sawyer. Really? Other than our agreement with the issues with the Fed, Ron Paul loses me. He's like the crabby old man telling you to get off his lawn.

December 11, 2011 at 13:28 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

"Ron Paul loses me. He's like the crabby old man telling you to get off his lawn."

Exactly. I would like to mock his comments here but there is just no way to do it not having that high pitched whiny condescending tone in his voice available to the written word.

December 11, 2011 at 15:06 | Registered CommenterTijuana

I have said it before, but Ron Paul is starting to scare me that he will finish higher than he should in the Iowa Caucuses. The ads he runs in Iowa never mention stopping foreign aid or closing all overseas military bases, they just talk about cutting the deficit in a big way, which is an attention-getting position this year.

He has a good ground organization, and his supporters are very vocal. Many of them are college kids, which is interesting.
I do like that some college kids are not falling all over the socialist party, kids who are fiscally aware might at least be easier to educate away from Ron Paul's batshit-crazy national security ideas, rather than lost forever to the party of "social justice".

Newt and Romney both didn't try to work too hard in Iowa. Tactical decisions, it is their choice. Romney went big in Iowa 4 years ago and didn't get the payoff, so he was scared to go big and not be guaranteed top level finish.

Newt just opened up a campaign office here again after he became a front runner.

And is it true that Newt did not even get enough groundwork done to appear on the primary ballot in every state? Oy.

I will still vote for the Republican nominee, I just hope the Ron Paul campaign does get enough traction to believe they should run third party. Again.

December 11, 2011 at 22:40 | Registered CommenterDuff, man

I don't know if you folks often read Victor Davis Hanson, but this article from VDH is a nice summation of the current President's twists and turns.

At VDH's Private Papers

Mr Hanson has a very interesting background, as a college professor and author of many books on the Classics and Military History, and as a 5th generation California farmer.

December 12, 2011 at 00:15 | Registered CommenterDuff, man

Brilliant!

December 12, 2011 at 16:07 | Registered CommenterChoy Lee Mu

"I just hope the Ron Paul campaign does get enough traction to believe they should run third party. Again."

Duff, did you mean to have a "NOT" in there someplace. I hope so. :)

I like Hanson a lot. A brilliant man. Unlike, say, david feldman.

December 12, 2011 at 16:29 | Registered CommenterTijuana

Yes, should have been "does NOT". Oops.

December 12, 2011 at 16:46 | Registered CommenterDuff, man

"Just wanted to share a funny one-liner from comedian David Feldman: "This is not the first time Herman Cain's abandoned his race."

Any time a black man walks off that democratic plantation he's in for a whipping. Can't have a black man that's not beholding to whitey.

December 12, 2011 at 19:26 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

December 12, 2011 at 19:27 | Unregistered CommenterThomas Miller

Above, I state that Yahoo said 70 percent of voters, I believe it was actually 70 percent of viewers who were Twitting the debate who felt that way. Just wanted to set that straight.

December 12, 2011 at 19:36 | Registered CommenterTijuana